It’s easy to neglect your deck during the colder months of the year. Don’t stay cooped up inside all winter long! Check out these tips for getting more out of your outdoor living space and enjoying your deck year-round:
- Make your deck warm: Having a heat source for your deck is a key factor in attracting you and your family to the outside of your home during the winter months. Install a space heater or build a firepit to add warmth to your deck, but make sure to keep any heat sources up off the deck floor to prevent burns and unintentional fires.
- Cover your deck: Consider adding a roof to your deck to keep the warmth in and the snow out. For more wallet-friendly solutions, add an outdoor fabric cover to a pergola or install an awning that extends off of the back of your house and over a portion of your deck.
- Lighten up your deck: Cold winter days are often overcast and lacking in direct sunlight. Decorate your deck with string lights or floor lamps to brighten the atmosphere and lure your guests outside on even the gloomiest of days.
- Add a hot tub to your deck: Hot tubs are perfect for outdoor living spaces and provide comfort and warmth on cold winter days and nights. As long as the flooring and substructure of your deck is sturdy and strong, you can create a cozy and relaxing oasis by installing a hot tub anywhere your deck space and layout will allow.
- Make your deck “green”: Evergreen plants grow beautifully in all four seasons and are a great option for adding life to your deck when most of the surrounding plant life is dull-colored and dead. Add some more color by planting daphne, winter jasmine, or red river lilies, which all flower in the winter.
- Decorate your deck: If they aren’t at risk of being damaged by cold temperatures, decorations can be left out on your deck all year long. Taking them inside and storing them away until spring will deter you from spending time outdoors and have you neglecting the living space your deck has to offer. Decorations make that space more inviting and create a comfortable and familiar atmosphere.
Trademark Deck and Patio?is a Maryland decking company with over 10 years of experience. Our team is dedicated to helping you enjoy your outdoor living space all year long and pride ourselves on providing high quality deck and patio products and services at competitive prices. Contact us today for more information, or to get a free estimate on your next outdoor project.