Are you limited in the amount of space you have to build a deck, but don’t want to give up on your dream of having a more functional outdoor living space? Check out these tips for making decks in small spaces look and feel much bigger:
- Built-In Seating: Installing benches and other seating along the edges of your deck will eliminate the need for extra furniture and will open up the layout.
- Multiple Levels: If in addition to little space, an awkwardly sloped yard is keeping you from having a deck built, consider building multiple levels. This will allow for a bigger feel, and can be a way to comfortably separate a different areas of your deck (i.e. a play area from a dining area).
- Think Vertical: If you have a small backyard, you are limited in what you can do horizontally in regard to your deck. Use your more available vertical space to create a deck design provides visual relief, by incorporating an arbor or pergola into your build.
- Hidden Storage: Reduce clutter in your small space by making storage simpler. Built-in seating can have lids that flip open to storage space for the kid’s outdoor toys, seat cushions, or seasonal decor.
- Use Your Trees: If your backyard has trees and shrubbery, try to design your deck in a way that will utilize them. Use a tall tree to shade an area of your deck, lessening the need for things like awnings or umbrellas, and take advantage of the privacy that shrubbery allows.
Additional Tips for Small Decks:
- Don’t overdo it. Small spaces can be great for decks, but understand that you may not be able to include every deck feature you desire. Be reasonable about the space you have and design it to address as many of your needs as possible without overcrowding.
- Unique Décor: Give your deck a unique look by decorating with bright and colorful plants and furniture to distract from the size of the space.
- Make it Functional: Do what you can to make your small space functional. Add a built-in firepit or a grilling station to ensure that your deck will get regular use.
Looking for more tips on how to expand and liven up your outdoor living space? Trademark Deck and Patio is a Frederick, MD deck builder servicing Frederick, Howard, Carroll, and Baltimore Counties. We pride ourselves on our creativity and design skills that are necessary when building decks and patios of any shape or size. Contact us today and get a free estimate on your next outdoor home project.